No air conditioner lasts forever, unfortunately. Even if you invested in a high-quality brand air conditioner and made sure to maintain it over the years, eventually you’ll have to get it replaced. But how do you know when that time comes?
The following are the five main signs that it’s time to replace your air conditioner:
- Your air conditioner is old – Once your air conditioner reaches its tenth year, it’s going to be reaching the end of its lifespan. In some cases, a well-maintained air conditioner can last upwards of 15 years. However, it’s most likely going to start needing more and more repairs after year ten. Not to mention that at this point, newer models are going to far exceed its efficiency and effectiveness, which means that replacing it now could end up benefiting you long-term.
- Your air conditioner requires constant repairs – If you continuously invest in repairs year after year, then it’s a sign that your air conditioner may simply be on its last legs. Even if those repair costs don’t seem to amount to much on their own, they’ll begin to add up to the point where it will make financial sense to just replace it.
- Your air conditioner requires expensive repair – If something goes wrong with your air conditioner and the repair estimate is extremely expensive, then it might just make sense to take that money and put it towards a new air conditioner instead. For example, if the cost of repairing it is half of what a new unit costs, there’s almost no point in paying for the repair.
- Your air conditioner is inefficient – If your air conditioner has a low SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating), then replacing it with a new unit could save you substantially on your energy costs. Newer units are rated at a minimum of 13 SEER. If you notice that your energy bills are rising, then your unit may just not be working efficiently anymore due to general wear and tear as well.
- Your air conditioner is ineffective – If you’re having a difficult time cooling your home evenly and effectively even after multiple repairs and maintenance services, it’s simply time to replace it.
These are just some of the signs that it’s time to replace your air conditioning unit. Be sure to monitor your air conditioner for other possible warning signs too. If you need to replace your air conditioner, or you would like to schedule an inspection in Baltimore, Maryland, contact Air, Plumbing & Heating Solutions today.