Traditional water heaters heat water using gas or electricity and store their supply of hot water in a large tank. These types of water heaters can be problematic if they aren’t sized properly or if your household grows since it may not be able to keep up with your home’s hot water demand. A tankless water heater will solve this problem and will provide your household with a number of other benefits as well.
What is a Tankless Water Heater?
Tankless water heaters are small units that can be attached to the wall. They do not use tanks to store your home’s supply of hot water. Instead, they contain heating elements that will heat water as it passes through. This means that they are capable of heating water as it is demanded.
Tankless Water Heater Benefits
The following are just a few of the benefits that homeowners can enjoy from installing a tankless water heater:
- Don’t run out of hot water – When the tank of a traditional water heater empties out, more water has to be let in, which must then be heated. If you’ve ever been in a hot shower that turned cold, it’s because the tank to your water heater is empty. You’ll never run out of hot water with a tankless water heater since it heats water on demand as it passes through. This means that you’ll always have hot water, no matter how big your household gets or how much demand there is for hot water.
- Tankless water heaters are more efficient– Water heaters are known for using a substantial amount of energy. This is because they need to use energy to keep the water stored in their tanks hot. Since tankless water heaters only need to use energy to heat water on demand, they end up using much less energy to operate, thereby helping to reduce your energy bills.
- Take up less space – Tankless water heaters are small and can be attached to your walls. Traditional water heaters tend to be large due to their tanks and often take up a significant amount of space. The space you save can be used to your advantage.
- Tankless water heaters are less likely to leak – Because traditional water heaters store water in large tanks, they are more likely to experience leaks, which can result in serious water damage, reduce your supply of hot water and require expensive repairs. Because water isn’t being stored in tankless water heaters, there’s less risk of leaks.
- Durability – It’s estimated that tankless water heaters can last upwards of 20 years and even longer. This is great for the efficiency of your home as well as protecting your plumbing investment.
These are just a few of the benefits that you’ll enjoy from installing a tankless water heater in your home. For more information about how you can benefit from a tankless water heater or have a tankless water heater installed in the Baltimore area, be sure to contact us at Air, Plumbing & Heating Solutions.